a Sound Card on a Computer
to Install a Sound Card on a Computer
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Leave the computer plugged into the surge suppressor.
3. Disconnect all peripherals from the computer.
4. Remove the cover of the chassis.
5. Ground yourself to the computer. If you have a grounding strap,
put it on and follow its directions. Otherwise, ground yourself
by touching a metal part of the chassis.
6. Remove the back panel, if necessary.
7. Remove the existing sound card, if any. Put the new sound card
into that slot if it will fit physically. Skip to Step 11.
8. If the computer doesn?lready have a sound card, find an open
PCI slot. PCI slots are smaller than ISA slots.
9. Knock out or unscrew the metal plate on the card's slot holder
on the back panel.
10. Insert the sound card gently but firmly into the slot. Rock
it into position if necessary, but don't force it. Don't touch any
connectors on the card.
11. Connect cables from the CD-ROM drive to the sound card.
12. Replace the back panel and any removed screws. Screw sound card
into slot holder if it has a screw hole.
13. Reconnect monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Connect speakers to
the sound card's ports.
14. Turn on the speakers and restart the computer.
15. If Windows detects the sound card upon startup, follow instructions
to install the card's driver and additional software. If Windows
doesn?etect sound card, manually complete the installation using
the Add New Hardware control panel.
16. Play music CD to test sound card.
17. Shut down computer.
18. Replace cover of computer. Reboot computer.
If possible, do installation in an uncarpeted area to avoid static.
If possible, use the slot with the most open space around it.
Installing software that comes with your sound card will change
settings in the Windows Registry.
Be careful not to touch any connectors (chips). Touch as little
as possible on the sound card or inside your machine.
If your computer is under a manufacturer's warranty, modifying the
product usually ends that warranty.
If you do not understand these instructions or you lack good manual
dexterity, have a qualified technician install the sound card for